Saturday, July 25, 2009

Staph infection or an ingrown hair?

i have this pimple thing on my leg that i've had for a few months now. my mother just yesterday told me it could be staph infection. i had strep throat twice in January, too. it itches when i don't put lotion on my legs, which is a given because i have alot of dry skin.



my mom told me it was staph infection yesterday, but when i asked her if she could take me to the doctor to get it checked out, she looked at it and said it was an ingrown hair and that she saw a little hair coming out of it. it seems more probable, but the fact that i had strep throat twice is bothering me.



is there any way to tell without going to a doctor?



Staph infection or an ingrown hair?

An ingrown hair looks like a large pimple and can get a whitehead in the center of it. Ingrown hairs can be stubborn to get rid of. Try putting warm compresses (washcloth) on it and see if you can get it to open up. Getting the hair out of it will also help, as it is constantly irritating it.



Staph infection or an ingrown hair?

Dear Sister, you can contact DR RAJAN T.D via email and he being an expert dermatologist based in MUMBAI will give you the best opinion. He has been my skin doctor since last 10 and half years and believe me he is an expert in his field. All the best



Email: rajan.td@gmail.com



Staph infection or an ingrown hair?

I guess but if its been there for awhle that indicates a problem I would go to the doc.I believe that you may have a condition called Hidradenitis Supprativa. It is re-occurring boils/ cysts/abscesses that are often misdiagnosed as ingrown hairs, herpes, being unclean or over weight and folliculitis. This is a newly diagnosed skin condition , but there is a lot of info out there if you are looking.



(*All links please COPY and PASTE into search or address bar. When I copy and paste my answer I have gotten complaints that the links don閳ユ獩 work, had to put some spaces between so it wouldn閳ユ獩 dissapear)



Here is a link :



en .wikipedia.org/ wiki /Hidradenitis_suppurativa



or the HS_USA page is ..



hs-foundation.org



If this sounds like it might be you, READ it, PRINT it out, and TAKE it to your DOC.



It閳ユ獨 better to try to start treatment soon, it can spread over the body if left untreated. These boils can become quite large and painful. Sometimes even lasting for weeks or months , do not attempt to POP them they can then tunnel under your skin and spread all over the body. Most common areas are armpits, groin, bikini line, inner legs, and intimate places and basically anywhere that sweats and rubs against clothing. Stress is a big inducer.



There is a support group at MSN :



groups.msn.com/ HidradenitisSupportClub



Here is a few links that I thought it were interesting :



mayoclinic.com/health/hidradenitis-sup... DS00818



aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/ hidradenitis_suppu.html



I am open for questions!



I have had this for 8 years, I was misdiagnosed for a LONG time, and it was very embarrassing, painful and scary. I am just trying to help out so you don閳ユ獩 have to wait as long as I did.



Currently I have 5, 2 next to each other on my right inner groin. 2 in my upper HAIR area, and 1 med sized on my butt on the panty line, and they do come every week or so. I find that certain foods, not having a regular showering regimen, wearing clothing that irritates the area.. And STRESS usually is a precursor to getting one.



and YES thongs and TIGHT jeans will definately irratate the area... when I have some I can only wear slacks or strechy pants.... ughhhhhhhhhhh!!



I also prefer to use NEXCARE bandages.. There are 2 kinds I like for comfort and stay put reasons..



The first is like a clear band aid.... soft on the edges with a small area of bandage... helps with those buggers when they are on bikini line.. Usually stay for me.. Or occasionally on my inner thigh for those I like the foamy sponge like ones that are beige in color.. I think they are 3M.

No comments:

Post a Comment